One month left to share your councils views on BROADBAND universal service obligation
As you may know, the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport recently issued a consultation on the design of Broadband Universal Service Obligation.
NALC will be responding to consultation on behalf of the local councils that we represent and we would like you to email your thoughts to us on a number of key areas of the consultation. These include:
- A proposed minimum download speed of at least 10Mbps
- Proposed additional quality parameters of 1Mbps upload speed, minimum standards for
latency, a maximum sharing between customers (a ‘contention ratio’ of 50:1), and data
cap of at least 100GB per month
- The technologies which can deliver the USO.
- A proposed cost threshold of £3,400 per premise, and that demand aggregation should
be an essential feature of USO implementation to ensure as many people who want to
get connected, do get connected
- That there should be uniform pricing for the USO
- That the costs should be met by industry through a cost- sharing mechanism which will
be established by Ofcom once the specification for the USO has been set in secondary
- Measures to be taken in designing the USO that will help minimise market distortion
- The current level of market interest in becoming a Universal Service Provider(s) (Section
- Proposed arrangements for monitoring and review of the USO.
Local councils are at the very heart of their local community and that is why NALC thinks it is vital we hear from them.
The deadline for responses to us is 5pm Monday 2 October
If you would like to read more about the consultation please visit:
Please email Jessica Lancod-Frost with any thoughts you have on any of the points included above Jessica.Lancodfirstname.lastname@example.org
Robin Hambleton University of the West of England, UK
STAR COUNCIL AWARD WINNER
DORSET CALC HEALTH PROJECT CASE STUDY
NALC REFERENDUM PRINCIPLES NEXT STEPS
Dementia Friendly Parishes around the Yealm - CASE STUDY
ALCA would be delighted to advertise any events that member councils have on this website - just call the Chief Officer, Deborah White 07496 514035 or email email@example.com
Check out the current events by clicking on the links on the right or visiting the individual area group pages by clicking on the circles above.